828 King's Highway, Suffolk VA 23432

757 255-4168 stjohns1755@verizon.net Worship Service: Sundays at 10:30am
Welcome to St. John's community. We are honored to serve Christ, and to open our doors to all. Please feel free to join us for worship. St. John's can trace its history to the founding of Jamestown. The parish is over 350 years old, and the church building itself has stood for 2 and a half centuries. St. John's saw the American Revolution and served as a camp ground for troops during the Civil War. Through it all, St. John's has been a place of worship and a home for those seeking communion with Christ. St. John's has a rich and abiding history. Today, it is as it was... a place to find and be found by Christ.

Sunday, January 3, 2010

History of St. John's

For nearly four centuries, St. John's Church has sought to lead women and men in expressing the Christian Spirit. It continues to be an active Episcopal Church, opening its doors to all peoples.

The roots of St. John's Church go back to the earliest English settlements along the Nansemond River. The present church, constructed in 1755, is the third on the site. Its walls are solid brick, twenty-five inches thick. The center aisle is paved with blocks of limestone from England.

The Chancel, installed in the 1880's has elaborate wainscoting and carvings. The colored glass windows date from the same period.

St. John's Church has in its possession an original eighteenth century Vestry Book, and Bible.

In 1728, St. John's joined the Glebe Church, Driver, to form Suffolk Parish. This association continued until March 1, 1998, when each congregation became an independant Parish.On Sundays and Holy Days the congregation of St. John's Church gathers for worship. Visitors are warmly invited to worship and participate in this active congregation.

No comments:

Post a Comment